Recreational Sports & Fitness
9.18.2020 – Fitness Center closed until further notice
Based on the email sent out by Father Sicard on the evening of 9/17, the Concannon Fitness Center is closed until further notice. All workout sessions scheduled for Friday 9/18 have been deleted. If you had made a workout reservation, please do not attempt to show up for your session.
We will send out an update when we have more information about a potential reopening date. Thank you for your cooperation and be safe.
The Recreational Sports Staff
9.7.20 – Fall 2020 Facility Reopening
The Concannon Fitness Center is currently open to undergraduate student and faculty/staff use. Faculty and staff should use the online membership form to renew their membership. Once the form is completed, your card will be encoded within 48 hours.
COVID-19 Policies & Protocols
There will be a number of new Covid-19 protocols and policies in place to ensure a safe environment in our facilities.
- You MUST make a reservation in order to use the fitness center. Access will be granted through a reservation system utilizing IM Leagues, www.imleagues.com/providence, which many students are familiar with through our intramural program (see here for assistance with account creation)
- Reservations will be made in one hour blocks with strict capacity limits
- The reservation system will open at 12am the day prior
- We will close after each one hour block to thoroughly clean and disinfect the facility
- Masks will be required at all times, including while utilizing cardio equipment
- We have spaced out our strength equipment to a minimum of six feet apart to ensure we are compliant with physical distancing guidelines
- We will alternate the availability of cardiovascular equipment to ensure we are compliant with physical distancing guidelines (e.g. every other treadmill will be available per reservation block)
- We have added additional wipes stations and spray bottles for wiping down equipment before and after use
- Lockers and showers in the day use locker rooms are off-line. The spaces will be available as rest rooms only. So please arrive in your workout attire
- The Peterson field house is offline until the conclusion of COVID-19 testing
The Providence College Department of Recreational Sports, as part of a college with roots in the Dominican tradition, strives to contribute to the complete realization of the student as an intellectual, social, emotional, physical, and spiritual being. The department provides for such realization through intentional, safe, and well-managed intramural competitive sports programming, structured recreational events, physical fitness and conditioning activities, support for casual recreational use of fields and facilities, and administrative oversight of recognized sport clubs.
The Recreational Sports programming inspires the virtues of discipline, teamwork, sportsmanship, fairness, and honesty among participants of its programs. Leadership abilities are cultivated and recognized, and where possible, developed as part of the program of team competition and sports club activity, as well as through working at our Recreation and Fitness Centers. The results of the efforts of the program significantly and positively impact all three dimensions: mind, body, and spirit, which are at the heart of the Dominican collegiate experience.